Register to write the CVAA Certification exam
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Read below for all the information.
The Canadian Vascular Access Assocation (CVAA) is an organization dedicated to promoting safe, quality vascular access and infusion therapy care across the healthcare continuum. To keep pace with the rapid changes and increasing complexity of vascular access and infusion therapy care, it demands a specialized knowledge base and CVAA encourages all healthcare professionals working with patients/clients requiring vascular access and infusion therapy care to be certified.
CVAA offers a voluntary certification program that allows healthcare professionals working in the area of vascular access and infusion therapy to build on the foundation of their professional education and clinical experience gained in their practice. The purpose of CVAA certification is to promote excellence in vascular access care for the people of Canada through the establishment of national benchmarks for a knowledge base in vascular access.
Certification is a commitment to staying current with evidence based, best practice vascular access and infusion therapy. With CVAA certification everybody benefits – the employer, the health professional, and the client.
CVAA certification helps health professionals:
• Stay current in the field of vascular access by testing their specialized knowledge and skills
• By providing an opportunity to confirm their knowledge in vascular access
• To validate through recognized credentials, that they meet the national benchmark of required vascular access knowledge
• Meet regulatory reflective practice requirements
CVAA certification helps employers:
• By establishing a standard to assist in hiring competent staff
• By keeping health professionals up to date to provide evidence based care
• Demonstrate their commitment to funders to provide expertise in vascular access which supports optimal client outcomes and effective use of health care resources
• Validate that their employees have met the requirements of the CVAA certification
CVAA certification helps patients:
• By improving the quality of care they receive
• By reducing vascular access complications
The candidate must be an active member in good standing with the Association.
The candidate may take his/her examination at the first examining board established after his/her acceptance as a member of the Association. The exam is conducted annually at the conference site and at other predetermined sites as requested.
For the certification of the member to remain valid, the member must remain in good standing by submitting the prescribed annual dues each year and every year thereafter.
The exam consists of approximately 100 multiple choice questions. The exam can be written in English or French. You will be given two hours to complete the exam.
If a failing grade is obtained, the candidate must wait until the next examination is scheduled to rewrite. A new application and certification fee must be submitted each time.
A passing grade is 75% and the decision of the accreditation committee is final and no further review will be entertained.
The fee for examination will be as prescribed by the Board of Directors. Candidates who pass the certification exam will receive a certificate from CVAA suitable for framing and display and may use the designation CVAA(C) after their name. CVAA also provides a certification pin and a certification number.
If the annual dues are not paid, the certification is no longer valid if a member wants to become recertified, the applicant must rewrite the examination for certification.
The fee for the exam is $197.75 ($175 + HST = $197.75). There is a 10% discount if you join CVAA as a member at the same time!
CVAA encourages all members to write the certification exam.
Purpose of Certification
• establish a standard of knowledge required for certification thereby assisting employers, physicians, members of the health professions and the public
• measure the level of knowledge required for certifying intravenous nurses
• encourage professional growth of intravenous therapy
• formally recognize those individuals who meet all the requirements of the examination regulations of the CVAA
To be eligible for the CVAA certification examination, candidates must meet the following requirements:
• Be an active member of the CVAA national in good standing
• Complete and submit the application form and full payment
• Only candidates who meet the above criteria will be allowed to take the examination.
The exam application fee is non-refundable, however, an exam date may be rescheduled once without penalty.
If the annual dues are not paid, the certification is no longer valid. Your employer may be advised that your certificate is no longer valid. If a member wants to become recertified, the applicant must rewrite the examination for certification.
The certification exam is an objective test that covers the basic elements of intravenous therapy including:
• clinical applications
• fluids and electrolytes
• infection control
• transfusion therapy
• parenteral nutrition
• special applications - paediatrics and geriatrics
• performance improvement/quality assurance
Recommended Reference Texts
1. Alexander, M., Corrigan, A., Gorski, L., Hankins, J., & Perucca, R. (Eds.). (2010). Infusion nursing: An evidence-cased approach (3rd ed.). St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier.
2. Infusion Nurses Society (INS). (2011). Infusion nursing standards of practice. Journal of Infusion Nursing, 34(1Supplement), S1-110.
3. O’Grady, N.P., Alexander, M., Burns, L.A., Dellinger, E.P., Garland, J., Heard, S.O., & Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. (2011). Guidelines for the prevention of intravascular catheter-related infections. American Journal of Infection Control, 39(4 Supplement 1), S1-S34. Doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2011.01.003.
4. Weinstein, S., & Hagle, M. (2014). Plumer’s principles and practice of infusion therapy (9th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Health, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
Certification Exam Study Outline
An exam Study Outline is included with your application fee and will be emailed to you upon registration and will greatly assist you as you prepare.
Off line - Download the Certification Exam Application here
and mail in with cheque/money order.
Online - Fill out the form here
and you can pay with your credit card through PayPal.